|The Black & Green Burger
|Chef/Event Coordinator Andrew Casale of the University of St. Thomas Dining Services won $10,000 in the TNT Top Burger Challenge Contest for this unique creation.
|Chive Infused Oil:
- 1 cup "good" olive oil
- 1 cup fresh chives, packed
Pancetta Bits:Chive Mayonnaise:
- 16 roma tomatoes
- olive oil as needed
- salt as needed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. chive oil
- 1 cup green olives with pimentos
- 1 Tbsps. chive oil
- 2 Tbsps. mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, packed
- 1/4 cup yellow pepper rings
- 2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 2 Tbsps. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, in oil
- 16 5.3-oz. TNT burger patties
- 16 ciabatta buns, evenly cut in half
- softened butter, as needed
- 16 slices provolone cheese
- 48 romaine heart leaves
- black and green olives, skewered
- 32 whole chives for garnish
- Prepare chive-infused oil. Combine ingredients in a high-speed blender until bright green. Strain through cheesecloth or coffee filter.
- Prepare oven-dried tomatoes. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Drizzle with olive oil and salt, then arrange on a rack and back at 225°F for 1-3/4 to 2 hours. When done, drizzle with more oil and salt.
- Prepare pancetta. Dice pancetta, then cook in a saute pan on low heat until crispy. Drain off grease.
- Prepare chive mayonnaise. Mix mayo and chive oil.
- Prepare green tapenade. In a food processor fitted with a blade, combine all ingredients and process until it reaches the consistency of whole grain mustard.
- Prepare black tapenade. In a food processor fitted with a blade, combine all ingredients and process until it reaches the consistency of whole grain mustard.
- For each burger, cook one patty on a charbroiler to an internal temperature of 160°F. Top with one slice of cheese just as the burger is done.
- While burger is cooking, butter one bun and cook on a flat griddle.
- When bun is golden, spread one half with one heaping Tbsp. of green tapenade and the other half with one heaping Tbsp. of black tapenade. Spread tapenade on both sides to the edge of the bun evenly. Arrange buns side by side on center of plate and place cheeseburger in center overlapping half of each bun slice. Top the burger with 3 romaine heart leaves, 2 oven-dried tomato halves and 1 oz. of cooked pancetta. To garnish, drizzle the plate with chive oil, skewered black and green olives and 2 whole chives. Serve with side of 1 oz. chive mayonnaise.