|This is a versatile sauce with many applications: serve your pesto with hot drained pasta, grilled chicken, baked pumpkin or hot jacket potatoes. Pesto is traditionally prepared by pounding it with a pestle in a mortar--however, a food processor is a great way to save time.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Blend the chopped basil, oil, garlic and nuts at high speed until pureed.
- Pour mixture into a bowl, add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Use equal quantities of parsley and marjoram instead of basil and pine nuts.
- Use parsley and walnuts instead of basil and pine nuts.
- Use ground almonds with basil instead of pine nuts
- Use equal quantities of parsley and basil.